Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Booklet (EN)

Watch My Mind!

First Name: Lisa
Family Name: Desjobert
Age: 16
Date of Birth: 28/03/1994
Home: Aurillac
School: Lycée Saint-Eugène
Likes:
Dislikes:
Photomontage, using a computer programme to rework a picture of my skull on which I "stuck" a picture of a Rubik's Cube.

The aim of my work is to make the public want to look into in my head, and to feel what I feel when I think too much! But it's also to make people think about what's happening in their own minds... Are you as complicated as I am?!

So, my work, which is supposed to be funny-bizarre, is about how we perceive our inner selves, and about the way we question how others see themselves.

The title of my work, "Watch My Mind!" is a pun on “watch” which means both “see, observe” and “watch out, be careful!” Look inside my head, but be careful what you might find...

The artist Invader inspired me, particularly his exhibitions “Low Fidelity” in London, “Rubicubism” in Los Angeles, and “Rubik Space” in Paris. In these exhibitions, the artist makes obsessive use of Rubik’s Cube patterns.

Invader says in an interview that his art gave sense to his life and I think that all these cubes represent a part of his personality, the things that he has done or could have done. All those little pixels in his art represent, in fact, his mind. So, in my work I decided to use a sponge-like Rubiks’ Cube to show you how I think my own mind works.

What is this mind I talk about? It’s not something you can see, and I do not think it actually is a multicoloured sponge. It is emotion, thought, reason, perception, memory, the “stream of consciousness”, etc. In fact, it is everything that makes up a person. Philosophers, scientists, writers, artists have all explored the mind. Talking about one’s mind is a way of talking about who one is, a self-portrait that goes beyond showing one’s physical appearance; surely one is more than one’s face or body?

No comments:

Post a Comment